Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Beth meets Harper Lee

A few days ago, I saw a Facebook post by my friend Beth showing off a copy of the great American novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, autographed by the author, Harper Lee. I was so happy for Beth. A few posts later, I realized that Beth had been invited to Miss Lee’s home. As proof, there were pictures of the two of them smiling. Beth did not invite me to go to Alabama to meet Miss Lee. Perhaps one of my disparaging comments about Cam Newton had somehow gotten back to her.

If you have never read To Kill a Mockingbird, immediately go to amazon.com and order a paperback copy. Published in 1960, the book won the Pulitzer Prize, was the basis for a remarkable movie, and had a profound affect on Americans during the 1960s and 70s. Although it has sold 30 million copies, the publishers have, so far, refused to allow it to be sold electronically. There is no version available for the Kindle. The publishers feel that To Kill a Mockingbird is a treasure, and that the reader should have a printed copy to hold. I agree, and as I pare down my three bookcases of printed books, it is one of the dozen or so hardbound books that I will keep forever. When I notice my copy (unsigned) in the bookcase, I instantly feel the warmth of Scout.

However, I also believe that vinyl records produce warmer sound than CDs. The New York Times is better printed on pulp paper, which I can fold three times until it is the size of an iPad. And photos captured on film (strip of plastic covered with light sensitive chemicals used in a camera to capture images in twentieth century) have more vivid colors than digital pictures. And how would Harper Lee autograph a Kindle edition?

Old Dawg

No comments:

Post a Comment